Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Seventy-five Days and Counting

Seventy-five days until the insanely hot desert greets us. Seventy-five days until we arrive in Doha, sleep in our new house, hear the call to prayer, and begin a barrage of meetings in preparation for the school year. Seventy-five days! Is that enough time to begin a blog, purchase new running shoes, catch up on inoculations, shuffle our finances, stash stuff in storage, and say goodbye to everyone? I suppose it has to be.

It's been honeymoon-ish dreaming about our new life abroad. In February, we ceremoniously signed our teaching contracts in Iowa and pledged our lives to ASD. I donned a dress and Chris sported a tie. We've been blissed out ever since.

The honeymoon glow is fading. Slightly. Now, it seems, reality is setting in. I am nervous about being in the classroom full time, anxious about feeling deflated by the heat, and uneasy about helping the kids adjust to life abroad. We have made the right decision to move overseas, that I know. Chris and I are lucky to have secured these jobs. It's been a goal of ours for years to teach internationally, and it feels so fantastic to embark upon our dream. Honestly, there are moments when I am so thrilled about Doha I could turn a cartwheel on the kitchen floor and others when I am queasy with uncertainty about teaching.

I hope seventy-five days is enough time complete my growing to do list, quiet the queasiness, and perfect my kitchen cartwheels.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your blog! I can't wait to read about all your new adventures! See you soon!! ~Shayla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh honey.... Good one on starting a blog. I will be all of the above, reading religiously, eavesdropping periodically and living vicariously.
    You all will be greatly missed!
    xxo-Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, just what Kerry said above.
    You are a true gem and are making memories that will last a lifetime and beyond.
    Love, Missy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am looking forward to reading about your adventures! Keep us posted about your kids as well! This will be life-changing for all of you!
    Love, Krispi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Living in other countries is great. I highly recommend it. If you every want a break from the heat, visit us in Andorra.

    The Vissers

    ReplyDelete