Thursday, October 29, 2009

Out of my Box and into the World

I am not sure what is happening. I like the heat and I really do not mind the air conditioning. I bought a blue bikini and wear it in public. I splurged on Fendi sunglasses then took my kids to Burger King for dinner. These are not my normal habits.

A few weeks ago I jumped (fully clothed, not in the blue bikini) into a swimming pool because I thought I saw our friend's son sinking (there is still a bit of argument about whether or not he was actually in trouble). Yesterday I brought home a possibly blind dumpster kitten. I make no secret of the fact that I normally feel about animals the way that people without kids feel about other people's kids - nice to play with if they're well behaved, but feeling it's a privilege to walk away without any true responsibility. . . so bringing home a kitten was a bit out of my comfort zone. I have to drive somewhat maniacally to survive a trip to the market (hopping the curb, passing on the right, temporarily making a third lane in traffic just so I can pull a u-turn at the right spot). And most of you know that I went to see Air Supply. I am not sure what is happening to me. I have never wanted to go to India, but off I go in three weeks. Oh, and I haven't baked anything, not even a blueberry muffin, since I arrived in Doha.

I suppose some things do not change. I am still the unassuming girl who doesn't say much in staff meetings and is willing to do what I am told. I have opinions and qualms, but no desire to ruffle the status quo's stable boat (or whatever you say, I am not versed in easyspeak). Even when the principal announced that the school simply does not hire new teachers because the high expectations placed on the staff would overwhelm anyone new to the profession, I rebelliously thought, I am here and I am doing okay and I haven't cried yet and I might just surprise you with my mad skills.

I am the only woman teacher hired this year for the middle school. I am floating in a sea of forty-something men. It feels like I have inherited several big brothers who call me "Em" or "Wolf" and I learn a little from them every day.

I know I will return home a different person (not to worry, I will still take an hour to get the jokes and will still shout "bunco" like a little girl) . I know our kids will change because of our time overseas. I also know that I am working harder than I have ever worked before, that Chris and I are doing this not just to check one more item off our life list, and that this crazy desert city is exactly where we should be.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah! Awesome post but I am concerned about the blue bikini...

    Miss you as always,

    Tori

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, am concerned about the blue bikini. The habit of ordering cheap delivery food on the weekends (when the maid goes home) is impacting my ability to fit into the bikini.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this, and the Fendi glasses. It's so fun to read about the experiences you're having. Keep it up so I can live vicariously. Great to hear the 1st year of teaching is going well too. I'm exhausted at the end of the day. Not sure how you do it with 2 kids!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The blog seems to be dormant. Chris, are you posting something somewhere?

    ReplyDelete